Who is ready for fall? I am! The one dessert my kids love is sugar cookies, so today I thought it would be fun to show you how to make these adorable Pumpkin Sugar Cookies.
Here is what you need:
5 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 C soft unsalted butter
2 C granulated sugar
How to make the Pumpkin Sugar cookies:
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add all 4 eggs at one time…Continue to mix. -Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on the wood cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour into the batter.
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using your Pumpkin cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookie to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookie are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
Easy Royal Icing to decorate the cookies:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- Leave icing in large bowl. Take out 3 bowls, put 1/4 C of icing in two bowls and the rest of the
icing in the third bowl.
- Bowl #1 , add several drops of brown gel food coloring stirring well until all of the color is blended. Bowl #2, add several drops of green gel food coloring stirring well until all of the color is blended.
- As for the largest amount of icing add several drops of orange gel food coloring in the bowl of icing … stir well to mix the color.
- Spoon each of the icings into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips…. twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
Now you will need frosting bags. I highly recommend getting the disposable ones. They are such a convenience and definitely worth the cost. You will also need a Wilton tip number 5. You can order just the single tip, but getting it in a set is a much better value.
How to decorate Pumpkin Sugar Cookies:
- First step for each of the pumpkin cookies outline it in orange except for the stem and leaf.
- Allow the orange outline at least 30 seconds to dry before filling the body of the cookie in with the other orange icing*. ( After outlining all of the pumpkin cookies you can push some the remaining icing into a bowl and add the 1 tsp of water and mix well to get the right consistency .Using a butter knife to spread it from the outlined part inwards to the center.
- Outline the stem with brown icing on all of the same pumpkin cookies, fill them in with the thinner icing.
- Outline the green leaf with the green icing on all of the same pumpkin cookies, fill them in with the thinner icing. (Leave some of the green icing in the frosting bag for additional use.)
- Using the frosting bag with orange icing and a small tip to make the four half center markings on the pumpkin. Allow these lines to dry before adding the green lines.
- Using the frosting bag with the green icing and a small tip add the additional connected circles coming down from the green leaf. (Follow the pictures as provided.)
- Set these aside and allow to completely dry about 4 hours. Then serve and enjoy!
Aren’t these these iced sugar cookies the cutest?
You don’t have to be a chef or a fancy baker to make these adorable pumpkin sugar cookies for your family and friends.